Xserver fatal IO error 11

Hardware information
CPU=i7 920
GPU=AMD R9 280
driver=amdgpu (open source)

Hi,
after I installed GOG Shadow Warrior Classic (GOG provides a Linux Install) I started the “Settings” (not the game executable itself) after briefly seeing the dosbox window my monitor went black and displayed the message: “input signal out of range” Since then as soon as KDE starts up the monitor turns to standby and displays the above message.
The Monitor is connected via HDMI.

What works:
I can change to tty
When starting Windows (dualboot system) everything works fine (Hardware error seems very unlikely)

What I found out:

xrandr can’t open display
starting x-server produces “fatal IO error 11”
google search for that error produced only very specific topics which wouldn’t apply to my case (at least as far as I understood)
reinstalling x-server did change nothing

My Problem:
It seems likely, that dosbox or the game changed resolution and / or refresh rate to unsuitable values. So my monitor can’t display those.
I really don’t know how to isolate the cause of the problem, or go about getting more info than I have up to now. Much less solve the problem.
So maybe someone can point me in the right direction. I can do ok with the terminal but only tty to trouble shoot turns out to be out of my league at least for now.

Thanks in advance for any help.

i would check the /var/log/Xorg.*.log for more detailed infomation

cat /var/log/Xorg.*.log | grep EE
1 Like
Xorg.*.log Errors
[    11.643] Current Operating System: Linux rarius-desktop 4.19.26-1-CHAKRA #1 SMP PREEMPT Thu Feb 28 21:03:41 CET 2019 x86_64
	(WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
[    11.672] (EE) Failed to load module "ati" (module does not exist, 0)
[    11.675] (EE) Failed to load module "fbdev" (module does not exist, 0)
[    12.301] (II) Initializing extension MIT-SCREEN-SAVER
[   398.038] Current Operating System: Linux rarius-desktop 4.19.26-1-CHAKRA #1 SMP PREEMPT Thu Feb 28 21:03:41 CET 2019 x86_64
	(WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
[   398.043] (EE) Failed to load module "ati" (module does not exist, 0)
[   398.043] (EE) Failed to load module "fbdev" (module does not exist, 0)
[   401.602] (II) Initializing extension MIT-SCREEN-SAVER

Ok, so after checking the output of your command (see above), I tried removing xf86-video-amdgpu and installed xf86-video-ati.
And created /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-radeon.conf (following Arch Wiki)
This has solved the problem insofar, that I now have a working Monitor again. So yay.

I still don’t get how this happend and amdgpu driver has been working flawlessly for month now.
And in a short initial test ati driver worked ok, but at least in one instance (game via wine) didn’t work.

So I’m going to mark this as solved, but if anybody has follow-up ideas… I’m still curious and confused :wink:

Thanks for the help!!!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.