What shoud we import from Mint KDE

(kepszlok) #1

Mint KDE 18.3 are almost here (the last Mint with KDE) and they have some great new things. See their list here with details: https://www.linuxmint.com/rel_sylvia_kde_whatsnew.php

There are two things that i woud like to see in chakra. They are:

-flatpack support
Ready to use apps, like how steam works. The needed libs with the right versions are packed with the app.

-system backup app
Great way to do a system backup. Quite often, we have big, 1…3GB upgrades so a simple way to backup the core files woud be nice.

What do you guys think?

(Chroot Doot ✝) #2

Fltapak isn’t production-ready yet, so supporting it in its current state wouldn’t be a good use of time. However, supporting Flatpak through GUIs (such as Octopi or a higher level store) wouldn’t be a bad idea, but full Flatpak support would likely encompass:

• Custom SDK + Runtime(s)
  • Flatpak installer which modifies Flatpaks to use Chakra Runtime(s)
  • Theme integration
  • GUI for granting permissions

It’s got great progress, but many of the corners aren’t smoothed out yet, and until (if) Flatpak becomes de-facto for developers to distribute applications, then there isn’t much necessity to support it.

There’s always the community repository; I’ve installed Flatpak from source, and it’s pretty easy to get working (much easier than Docker, anyways).

(dinolib) #3

Hi.

There is any news about flatpak support?

(Chroot Doot ✝) #4

Nothing official, and there still isn’t a CCR package, which is the method in which packages filter into the official repositories.

Little necessity, I guess…

(Neofytos Kolokotronis) #5

Anyone knows if flatpak is supported in Arch or another Arch-based distro? If yes, I guess it shouldn’t be too hard to make it work in Chakra as well.

Regarding the backup tool, what files exactly would you like to backup? I seem to recall we had a backup tool for some configuration files, but it probably got obsolete after the plasma5 switch.

(Luca Giambonini) #6

The backup tool is called kup and is well integrated in kde and in the system settings panel.

I like the “Driver Manager”, is something similar that we want to archive inside the live ISO.

About flatpak, seen that (if I remember correctly) was preferred by the kde team, we can think to include it in our distro.
We can use discover to manage the flatpak applications installed.

(Chroot Doot ✝) #7

Gnome prefers Flatpak, KDE doesn’t even fully support it yet.

And building Flatpak is super easy, just a simple ./configure + make + make install, the real issue with supporting Flatpak is that there is a little more effort involved in tailoring the tool to a distribution’s needs.

For example, the default Gnome Runtime does not disable client-side decorations, you’d have to maintain a fork to remove the feature.

(kepszlok) #8

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=KDE-Discover-Flatpak-Production

(dinolib) #9

There should be a project to include flatpak into plasma “natively” via GUI. The project is called Portal: https://community.kde.org/Guidelines_and_HOWTOs/Flatpak#Flatpak_portals

These shoud be the needed packages (?):
https://www.archlinux.org/packages/extra/x86_64/xdg-desktop-portal/
https://www.archlinux.org/packages/extra/x86_64/xdg-desktop-portal-kde/
https://www.archlinux.org/packages/extra/x86_64/discover/

(Luca Giambonini) #10

Good suggestions.
To manage flatpack packages I suggest to use discover, a native client on kde. We don’t provide discover now because does not provide a backend for pacman, but the idea is to use it in the future with akabei :blush: (to be honest is not just an idea, I have a prototype running on my pc)

So, shall I prepare flatpak, xdg-* and discover to see how it works?

(Rémy Epke) #11

What the hell is Flatpack? Googled but found a lot of Ikea furniture and a tiny Wikipedia page not explaining it very well. What does it do? What would be different?

(Chroot Doot ✝) #12

Portals are great, if there were any standard for sandboxing applications/profiles (I think there should be), portals would have to be integrated.

Flatpak, no c. https://www.flatpak.org/

The developers market it as the future of Linux package management, which is a pretty substantial claim. The upsides of the tool are runtime environments, which ensure upstream packages work on any system without having to bundle with libraries like Appimage, and sandboxing.

It certainly won’t replace standard package managers, but it may become the preferred tool for upstream releases.

It’s like Snapcraft, but not entirely useless.

(dinolib) #14

Just uploaded some package for flatpak.
It seems to work, hope you can try it.
For me it is too slow to start applications, but they are usable and it is my goal :slight_smile:
@AlmAck I hope you’ll find it useful :wink:

I’m trying to install discover, but packagekit dependency needs pacman>=5.
Any suggestion?

(Luca Giambonini) #15

remove pacmand dependency and remove the build line --enable-alpm

(dinolib) #16

remove the build line --enable-alpm

Can you explain to me what is alpm? Thanks!

(Luca Giambonini) #17

sure, but is very simple:
Arch Linux Package Management (ALPM)

in fact, there is the libalpm that is used to interact with pacman. akabei was born to get rid of this complicated library and get an easy access to the system function (install/remove/… packages)

(dinolib) #19

Thank you. Now discover seems to start.
Atm I tried to update packages (failed service may be, the interface is still basic) and now I’ installing a new app (recipes): starts and works.

Now apps start faster than from CLI, don’t know why.

I think I can upload in CCR just to share PKGBUILD and save you some work. I’m aware that a lot of cleaning and fix is needed.

Just for record: I’m able to run spotify, RetroArch, recent Meld from discover.
It creates .desktop to open programs directly from app menu and… it works! :grinning:

(brli) #20

To my knowledge, discover (or, the underlying packagekit/appstream backend) works almost fine with alpm/pacman.

However, it doesn’t recognize pacman.conf’s per-repo setting nor can it handle detailed/manual intervention automagically like what other package system do (ie. .deb or .rpm).

And, since Arch team doesn’t develop pacman with GUI use case in mind, there is little official support currently even though Arch do package discover and appstream database.

Finally, I may be wrong, but IIRC Arch didn’t involved in the packagekit environment design and develop from the start. It started as a Fedora/rpm project and greatly adopted by Ubuntu, but not the other more geeky distribution since then IMHO.

(dinolib) #21

@brli: I use discover only for flatpak. Never tried to use with pacman (and never will :grinning:), but it seems that Arch made some changes and produced additional packages for it.
Atm I don’t have arch instaled to try it, anyway.

(system) #22

This topic was automatically closed 170 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.