We plan switch ownCloud to Nextcloud

ccr

(Jeff Huang) #1

We plan to drop ownCloud (server app and desktop client) to CCR and import Nextcloud as a drop-in replacement.

What do you think about this?

You can check the comparison about nextcloud and another cloud storage service here.

(Neofytos Kolokotronis) #2

This make sense to me, in the same spirit we switched from mysql to mariadb in the past.

(Knut Hildebrandt) #3

Great move that I’ve been waiting for for a while. Switched to Nextcloud about a year ago and would love to use its genuine client instead of the still working ownCloud client.

(csslayer) #4

Well, I’d like to point out, that nextcloud client is only a “rebrand” of owncloud client. They didn’t even write any new code for the client.

The code in github is even just simply using git sub module point to owncloud’s client.

It takes me sometime to figure this out because I intended to fix some translation bug in nextcloud client but couldn’t find any on the nextcloud repo. Later I realized there isn’t any because it’s just rebrand.

(Björn Schießle) #5

I just want to point out that this was true at the beginning of Nextcloud. But these day Nextcloud also works on the desktop client. With Nextcloud 13 we will add the first big new feature to the client, end-to-end encryption https://nextcloud.com/blog/nextcloud-introducing-native-integrated-end-to-end-encryption/

(cidig) #6

Nextcloud provides desktop client for Linux as an appimage which I used since about two months.

This is a great change, I moved from owncloud to nextcloud two months ago and I had to update the app manually downloading it from the nextcloud website.

(Jeff Huang) #7

Sorry for delay, nextcloud and nextcloud-client are uploaded to [desktop].
Feel free to repo any error that you occured :smiley:

(Neofytos Kolokotronis) #8

I remember someone had posted instructions on importing settings from owncloud to nextcloud, I think it was @brli? Can we share them again here?

(system) #9

This topic was automatically closed 170 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.