It was some months I didn’t give a chance to wayland session.
Last time I got a lot of problems that can’t let me keep it at work for more than few minutes.
Today I tested wayland after recent plasma updates and… surprise! It is working.
I’m using intel video drivers.
What is working now:
- stability. It is still on after hours
- mouse pointer size is correct
- virtualbox (set QT_QPA_PLATFORM=xcb variable before start it)
- dropbox (set QT_QPA_PLATFORM=xcb variable before start it)
- icons in the launcher are properly displayed
- yakuake works, and F12 shortcut works
- teamviewer 13 works (I think t.v. was broken)
- all other thing at the moment seems to work except for next list
What still doesn’t work:
- screenshot of a rectangular area https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=381040
- past with middle mouse button (come on dev team, it’s more than one year that users signaled it): https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=373907, https://www.reddit.com/r/kde/comments/646f7a/middleclick_paste_on_wayland/
- In dolphin during d&d using shift or Alt the icon doesn’t change (link-move-copy). Playing with buttons to test it I broken the system. I had to reboot with power button (1st time).
- drag and drop over windows (I’m not able to attach files to email with d&d from dolphin to thunderbird). Note: it works only with kate. d&d with alt+tab is working too.
- key press events are not handled properly (for example under virtual box if you close an application with alt+F4 it asks to close all the virtual box app. The same alt+tab works with plasma windows but not in the virtual environment)
- sometime hangs at logout
- tray icons’ menu position is wrong (icons are bottom-right, popup appear top-left)
- sometimes kate crash on exit in the wayland lib. But nothing harmful https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=385628
- plasma is still delicate. Just trying to modify the taskbar and right click on the tray icons and it crashes. Do not touch it
I’ll give a try to another machine with intel+nvidia (update: works fine), and (if starts) another one with an old radeon card.
Regarding middle mouse button, grasslin said:
There’s a GTK specific protocol which is unfortunately not part of wayland-protocols.
Due to that Qt doesn’t support it. And as Qt doesn’t support it and KWin doesn’t support the latest GTK version, we did not yet add support for it.
Once we have support for the latest GTK version we might consider adding support.
But it would feel weird as it would only work with GTK apps, but not with Qt apps.
I’m not sure to understand. To me this is a non-answer.