Wayland experience with plasma 5.11/5.12

wayland
kde-plasma

(dinolib) #1

It was some months I didn’t give a chance to wayland session.
Last time I got a lot of problems that can’t let me keep it at work for more than few minutes.

Today I tested wayland after recent plasma updates and… surprise! It is working.
I’m using intel video drivers.

What is working now:

• stability. It is still on after hours
  • mouse pointer size is correct
  • virtualbox (set QT_QPA_PLATFORM=xcb variable before start it)
  • dropbox (set QT_QPA_PLATFORM=xcb variable before start it)
  • icons in the launcher are properly displayed
  • yakuake works, and F12 shortcut works
  • teamviewer 13 works (I think t.v. was broken)
  • all other thing at the moment seems to work except for next list

What still doesn’t work:

• screenshot of a rectangular area https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=381040
  • past with middle mouse button (come on dev team, it’s more than one year that users signaled it): https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=373907, https://www.reddit.com/r/kde/comments/646f7a/middleclick_paste_on_wayland/
  • In dolphin during d&d using shift or Alt the icon doesn’t change (link-move-copy). Playing with buttons to test it I broken the system. I had to reboot with power button (1st time).
  • drag and drop over windows (I’m not able to attach files to email with d&d from dolphin to thunderbird). Note: it works only with kate. d&d with alt+tab is working too.
  • key press events are not handled properly (for example under virtual box if you close an application with alt+F4 it asks to close all the virtual box app. The same alt+tab works with plasma windows but not in the virtual environment)
  • sometime hangs at logout
  • tray icons’ menu position is wrong (icons are bottom-right, popup appear top-left)
    https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=381174
  • sometimes kate crash on exit in the wayland lib. But nothing harmful https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=385628
  • plasma is still delicate. Just trying to modify the taskbar and right click on the tray icons and it crashes. Do not touch it :slight_smile:

I’ll give a try to another machine with intel+nvidia (update: works fine), and (if starts) another one with an old radeon card.

Regarding middle mouse button, grasslin said:

There’s a GTK specific protocol which is unfortunately not part of wayland-protocols.
Due to that Qt doesn’t support it. And as Qt doesn’t support it and KWin doesn’t support the latest GTK version, we did not yet add support for it.
Once we have support for the latest GTK version we might consider adding support.
But it would feel weird as it would only work with GTK apps, but not with Qt apps.

I’m not sure to understand. To me this is a non-answer.

(ericjs) #2

This is interesting! Keep us updated. Sounds like it will be a while before it will be solid enough for me to want to try it.

As to grasslin’s non-aswer: it seems like the Plasma folks and the Wayland folks should both be more motivated to make it possible for people to switch to Wayland without losing functionality. Otherwise it’s never going to get real adoption and they’ll never be able to tail off support for X. But maybe they know this is a long way off anyway and have to prioritize.

(dinolib) #3

Upgraded to 5.12 in testing.
Most of the bugs are still there. Let’s see if stability is better.

About performance I don’t know, my machine is fast and I’m unable to compare.

(Johannes) #5

As soon as 5.12 comes out of testing, I will try Wayland again on my Lenovo X1 Yoga 2017. Auto-rotate etc. should be supported by now, while touch still isn’t.

Can you confirm, this bug also is still there? This was a major issue for me, because I could never log out properly…

cheers : )

(dinolib) #6

I do it very rarely… I’ll give it a try sometimes… :wink:

(Johannes) #7

Be careful, you might end up in a boot loop :smiley:

(dinolib) #8

At the moment I get a freeze during drag&drop trying to raise a windows from the bar… and lost part of my work.
The same as before.
I’m at work, I think I’ll wait next plasma update (in about 1 week I think) to check it again :rage:

EDIT: I used wayland for one week at work (as from my first post) and I confirm it is usable. There are just some operations to be avoided, as the drag&drop and panel intensive interaction (I know it’s not precise, but usually it is random)…

(Johannes) #9

Damn :frowning: I guess it is definitely not ready for everyday use. Maybe very isolated use cases. But since every new feature introduced in KDE now has to have Wayland support, I’m optimistic general Wayland support will improve quickly as well :wink:

(Neofytos Kolokotronis) #10

I had a chance to talk to Plasma developers in person over the last days, as I participated in a sprint of KDE’s Promo team. Wayland support is developed very actively and the rough estimation is that in ~6 months it should be in a state where it can be used by many more people.

They want all the feedback they can get. The main message I was asked to transfer is that whatever issues you come across, please check if there is a bug report open and if not start one on bugs.kde.org. Or ping them on #plasma-devel on IRC.

(Johannes) #11

Thanks for head’s up Neofytos. I will try to support them where/whenever I can.

(dinolib) #12

Thanks @tetris4, I’ll try. The only problem is that the most annoying bug are difficult to analyse and report properly (mainly because system hangs while your doing random operations and it is not easy to reproduce).

I can update the list in this thread with bug links when exist.

(Johannes) #13

I’m no tester so I will have to wait until Plasma 5.12 goes into stable. As soon as it’s here I will try to find some time to test it on my notebook.

(dinolib) #14

After recent updates in testing, can’t login into wayland session any more.
I give my user password, then display go black and it come back asking credentials.

kwin session works fine.

This is the journalctl log:

mar 13 17:56:24 dino-pc systemd-coredump[2722]: Process 2720 (kwin_wayland) of user 1000 dumped core.

Stack trace of thread 2720:
                                                #0  0x00007f3de005b6b0 raise (libc.so.6)
                                                #1  0x00007f3de005cc87 abort (libc.so.6)
                                                #2  0x00007f3de0a28367 _ZNK14QMessageLogger5fatalEPKcz (libQt5Core.so.5)
                                                #3  0x00007f3dd9f0897a _ZN22QGuiApplicationPrivate25createPlatformIntegrationEv (libQt5Gui.so.5)
                                                #4  0x00007f3dd9f08a7d _ZN22QGuiApplicationPrivate21createEventDispatcherEv (libQt5Gui.so.5)
                                                #5  0x00007f3de0c37775 _ZN23QCoreApplicationPrivate4initEv (libQt5Core.so.5)
                                                #6  0x00007f3dd9f0a4ef _ZN22QGuiApplicationPrivate4initEv (libQt5Gui.so.5)
                                                #7  0x00007f3de1007949 _ZN19QApplicationPrivate4initEv (libQt5Widgets.so.5)
                                                #8  0x00007f3de28a2c8e _ZN4KWin11ApplicationC2ENS0_13OperationModeERiPPc (libkwin.so.5)
                                                #9  0x0000561a554d0fc9 n/a (kwin_wayland)
                                                #10 0x0000561a554ce18c n/a (kwin_wayland)
                                                #11 0x00007f3de0047f2a __libc_start_main (libc.so.6)
                                                #12 0x0000561a554d018a _start (kwin_wayland)

(Johannes) #15

Same here. Gonna test more on Sunday.

(Neofytos Kolokotronis) #16

It’s possible that the wayland package needs a rebuild against the latest gcc group, I suggest reporting this on our bugtracker.

(dinolib) #17

wayland is back and working with recent testing update (plasma 5.12.5).

I’m using it since a couple of days. Not so bad.
Teamviewer now can starts (teamviewer upgrade I think) but graphic is slow. Usable anyway.

At the moment no crashes.

(Johannes) #18

Same here. Can login and logout without any issues. It’s not usable for me though yet, because scaling only allows values ‘1’ or ‘2’, nothing in between. So it’s either damn small or way too large. Anyway, getting there :slight_smile:

(system) #19

This topic was automatically closed 170 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.