Upgrades for xorg, kernel and graphics drivers include important changes and might require manual intervention

xorg
manual-intervention
mesa
kde-applications
kde-plasma
linux
kde-frameworks

(Fred Talmadge) #46

I installed Chakra as dual boot, using the option to shrink the existing partition. Then I tty into the original partition and completed the upgrade. You might be able to it with a bootable rescue disk as well.

(Knut Hildebrandt) #48

Thanks for the explanation. What I do not understand is, how you finished the upgrade from the second system. If you run pacman in the new environment it won’t affect the old installation, will it? Or did you make adjustments by copying and/or deleting files? If so, which?

I tried to upgrade two days ago what rendered my system unusable. The update of all packages went fine and without any error messages, except one regarding virtualbox. But that one I got at previous updates of virtualbox too and it did not affect the system at all.

But when I wanted to reboot the system I could not lock out properly. The lockout-screen kept crashing and thus I terminated Plasma entering

qdbus org.kde.ksmserver /KSMServer logout 0 2 2

While booting the system again, it got stuck at

Reached Target Graphical Interface

and the screen started flashing. I could not even access a TTY because not all keystrokes were accepted by the system and thus I could not enter my password.

Eventually I had to roll back by playing back an image I fortunately had made just before the upgrade. Now I wonder how to upgrade without running into the same problem again.

There are two more things to mention.

1. I have an on-board Intel graphics chip and a separate Nvidia card which usually is switched off 'cause I do not use it. Just tested it, and it is off.

2. investigating into the matter I found out that the old xf86-video-intel package is marked CCR while the new one belongs to CORE. Could this cause that the driver is not properly installed? Well, what lets me doubt this is the fact, that the protocol says that the package has been updated from the old to the new version. But have a look yourself.

(tom) #49

so far i can remember you can select in grub a entry that brings you to the multi-users.target and so you can login in a TTY and you can visit the journal or do something else

(Knut Hildebrandt) #50

Well, the problem seems to be solved. After playing back an image made before the update and updating the system again everything seems to work perfectly. No clue what went wrong the first time. Only thing I did differently was uninstalling xf86-video-intel and installing the new version since it had not been updated automatically. Anyway, the old version was marked “CCR” whereas the new one is from “core”. Maybe that is why it did not update and perhaps this is the reason why the graphical system did not work after the first update. If I had overlooked that xf86-video-intel had not been updated this might have caused the graphics problems.

(dinolib) #51

Unfortunately I found that on my intel+nvidia PC came back an annoying issue: nvidia cards is ON everytime.
I’m not able to turn off it in anyway. nvidia module is in use, so it is impossible to unload it by rmmode or modprobe -r.
Writing OFF in the /proc/acpi/bbswitch file doesn’t have effects. The only error is that nvidia goes time out when trying to turn off.

I can use both nvidia and intel cards, but nvidia is alway on.

(josx) #52

Hello community,

I tried to update/upgrade my system:

$ sudo pacman -Syu
:: Synchronizing package databases...
 lib32 is up to date
 core is up to date
 desktop is up to date
 gtk is up to date
 unstable is up to date
:: Starting full system upgrade...
:: Replace mesa-libgl with core/mesa? [Y/n] y
resolving dependencies...
looking for conflicting packages...
warning: removing 'mesa-libgl' from target list because it conflicts with 'mesa'
:: lib32-libglvnd and lib32-catalyst-libgl are in conflict (lib32-libgl). Remove lib32-catalyst-libgl? [y/N] y
error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies)
:: catalyst-utils: requires xorg-server<1.18.0

but I get some troubles, the update doesn´t work.

My g-card:

$ lspci
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Core Processor DRAM Controller (rev 02)
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 02)
00:16.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset HECI Controller (rev 06)
00:19.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82577LM Gigabit Network Connection (rev 06)
00:1a.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset USB2 Enhanced Host Controller (rev 06)
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset High Definition Audio (rev 06)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset PCI Express Root Port 1 (rev 06)
00:1c.3 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset PCI Express Root Port 4 (rev 06)
00:1c.4 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset PCI Express Root Port 5 (rev 06)
00:1d.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset USB2 Enhanced Host Controller (rev 06)
00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge (rev a6)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile 5 Series Chipset LPC Interface Controller (rev 06)
00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset 6 port SATA AHCI Controller (rev 06)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset SMBus Controller (rev 06)
00:1f.6 Signal processing controller: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset Thermal Subsystem (rev 06)
02:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation Centrino Ultimate-N 6300 (rev 35)
ff:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Core Processor QuickPath Architecture Generic Non-core Registers (rev 02)
ff:00.1 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Core Processor QuickPath Architecture System Address Decoder (rev 02)
ff:02.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Core Processor QPI Link 0 (rev 02)
ff:02.1 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Core Processor QPI Physical 0 (rev 02)
ff:02.2 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Core Processor Reserved (rev 02)
ff:02.3 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Core Processor Reserved (rev 02)

(Luca Giambonini) #53

Please, try to follow the 3 commands listed here:

In case of errors please do not continue, and post them here.

(Luca Giambonini) #54

@dinolib I don’t know how I can help you, I don’t have an hybrid system to test, and I never had one with nvidia. Let’s see if someone else can answer your questions, or in the meantime a research on the web can be fruitful.

(josx) #55

Unfortunately Error 1:

$ sudo pacman -S xf86-video-ati
:: xf86-video-ati and xorg-server are in conflict (X-ABI-VIDEODRV_VERSION). Remove xorg-server? [y/N] y
:: catalyst-utils: requires xorg-server>=1.7.0
$ sudo pacman -S xf86-video-amdgpu
:: xf86-video-amdgpu and xorg-server are in conflict (X-ABI-VIDEODRV_VERSION). Remove xorg-server? [y/N] y
:: catalyst-utils: requires xorg-server>=1.7.0

(Knut Hildebrandt) #56

Sounds strange to me, since my card is OFF:

$ optirun --status
Bumblebee status: Ready (3.2.1). X inactive. Discrete video card is off.

But I can’t get optirun to work.

$ optirun glxspheres 
Polygons in scene: 62464
ERROR (593): Could not obtain RGB visual with requested properties

Maybe our problems have something in common, the wrong nvidia module. Before the upgrade I had nvidia-304xx installed. That module had worked in the far away past but not recently. Don’t know what had changed with one of the many updates and when it happened. That is why I uninstalled bumblebee and reinstalled it, this time choosing the just nvidia called module, what did not solve the problem. Tried nvidia-340xx too, which caused almost the same error message as the nvidia module, only that it complained also about

Xlib: extension “GLX” missing on display “:8”.

Well, what I wanna say, try some of the other drivers offered. Perhaps the one you chose is not compatible with your card and another one solves the problem. And if you got an idea how I can solve mine I would appreciate if you’d let me know.

(Luca Giambonini) #57

ok, my bad, you don’t have an ati card so you don’t need it.
We need to remove catalyst before proceeding with the upgrade. (I suspect that catalyst was wrongly installed during the Chakra installation)

Try with:

$ sudo pacman -S libtxc_dxtn
$ sudo pacman -R catalyst-utils catalyst catalyst-libgl

Or if you want to fix this problem more quickly, ping me on #chakra (irc channel)

(tom) #59

kdesu doesn’t working after upgrade today

python-sip-common (4.19.3-2 -> 4.19.4-1)
python2-sip (4.19.3-2 -> 4.19.4-1)

(Luca Giambonini) #60

We need to get some more logs, I need to see the error or errors.
You tried to check with journalctl -b if there is something to understand this problem?

(Knut Hildebrandt) #61

Back again with bad and good news as well. After experimenting a bit with the nvidia modules the graphics system went berserk again. The anew installed nvidia-304xx module rendered the graphic system unusable after reboot. Got the flickering monitor again which I already had experienced and described in an earlier post. Only after logging in to the multi-users target, a sort of rescue mode, and uninstalling the nvidia-304xx module I could login again. Thus I suppose all our problems are somehow connected to issues with the nvidia drivers.

Edit: Same with nvidia-340xx. Only difference, the graphical system starts but I never get the login screen to see. The System hangs with a cursor on black screen.

(dinolib) #62

Luca I’ll get it a check. But for what I could seen the only problem is that plasma (or something else) uses nvidia at startup and lock it. I can check it maybe. There is a way to close plasma and enter the terminal? (maybe ctrl+alt+f2 and then “killall plasma”? :thinking:slight_smile:Then I can try to unload nvidia module and see if it is free.
I’ll check this evening in… 12 hours! :joy:

(Francesco Marinucci) #64

kdesu works fine here. What program are you trying to launch?

(tom) #65
#before the upgrade i was asked for my password to store the edited file
kate <filename>
#does not work
sudo kate 

(Francesco Marinucci) #66

IIRC, kdesu support in Kate and Dolphin was dropped some time ago

(tom) #67

i know and i was astonished that was working…

(totte) closed #68