Update of mesa from 17.1.5-1 to 17.3.1-1 and of xorg from 1.19.5-1 to 1.19.5-2 leaves me without login screen

mesa
xorg
intel
nvidia

(Knut Hildebrandt) #22

But why was that? Aren’t there usually .pacnew and .pacsave files generated? Anyhow, I installed the new versions from testing and edited the new drirc file. No success.

Where do I have to put this? Now it is not set at all.

$ env | grep KWIN_COMPOSE
$

One last remark. I accidentally installed the nvidia drivers again and ended up at a fully black screen, that didn’t even show a cursor. Could it be that all these problems are caused by the second graphics card?

Edit:

The problem still prevails and since nothing worked out yet I just stayed with the old driver. But I just accidentally updated mesa and xorg again and when krunner crashed I tried to start it from command line but failed. Interestingly I got following error messages:

krunner&
[3] 1029
[2]   Das Signal SIGALRM empfangen (Der Wecker klingelt)                          krunner
[knut@chakra-pc ~]$ libGL error: unable to load driver: i965_dri.so
libGL error: driver pointer missing
libGL error: failed to load driver: i965
libGL error: unable to load driver: i965_dri.so
libGL error: driver pointer missing

Sorry for the German, but I could not even make a full copy of all the output 'cause the screen froze again. Anyhow, does anyone have a clue, what that means? And why is it looking for a i965 driver? Shouldn’t it be i915?

Another Edit:

Well, eventually I’ve found a solution. I did a little research after stumbling upon above mentioned error message and found this thread.

According to what it recommends I was searching for the i965 module.

  1. with the old mesa and xorg packages installed

    $ pacman -Ql mesa | grep i965
    mesa /usr/lib/xorg/modules/dri/i965_dri.so
    
  2. with the new one installed

    pacman -Ql mesa | grep i965
    mesa /usr/lib/dri/i965_dri.so
    

And there is a tiny, little difference to notice. The module moved into another place. This in mind I just copied the module in the new location to the old location and the system starts as it used to. Even though this solves the problem I would not call it a solution but rather a workaround. Don’t know what went wrong, if it is the new mesa package that puts the modules into the wrong place or some other package that should be updated too, to look for the module in the new location, but I’m sure copying by hand should not be necessary. Would be nice to find a more sustainable solution for the problem.

Anyhow, in the old location there was only one entry left before copying the missing module there, a link to /usr/lib/VBoxOGL.so that does not exist anymore.


(system) #23

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.


(Hans Tovetjärn) #24

(Hans Tovetjärn) #26

This topic was automatically closed after 21 days. New replies are no longer allowed.