Things we do on a new install - with tips & advice for new users

I thought this may be a good way to start a list of standard things we do after installation to make the system our own - mostly I think it could help new users but also give ideas of future tweaks if enough people do the same thing?

Anyway, here’s my list:

1. Switch nouveau to nvidia non-free (if I couldn’t use this during installation) look in tutorials for ‘drivers free non free’.
  2. Change KDE to breeze dark (both desktop and workspace).
  3. Disable power management screen off.
  4. Enable position, size and desktop for all main programs so they stay same size etc. Right click on application top bar and choose special window settings. Once these are done (and the same for no. 5) you can export the settings for each window in Settings>Window Management>Window Rules and import them next time on a fresh install.
  5. Enable focus stealing prevention for steam (I use the controller like a remote control for my desktop and steam is on a different desktop from chrome etc - this requires steam full-screen mode to be set to windowed - this is in steam settings).
  6. Change menu to application dashboard - this requires widgets to be unlocked then right-click on menu and choose alternatives.
  7. Start octopi-notifier so it appears in the system tray.
  8. Install Dropbox and disable auto-updates (to avoid the ugly system tray icon) see https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/dropbox at the bottom.
  9. Auto-start chrome and steam (neither start from a saved session) in Settings>Startup and Shutdown.
  10. Switch my mouse forward and back buttons using xbindkeys - see https://askubuntu.com/questions/236529/binding-back-forward-to-mouse-buttons - I’ve saved my own .xbindkeysrc and .bashrc on Dropbox so I can copy them over. And I have to install xbindkeys and xautomation.
  11. Add KDEconnect widget to system tray.
  12. Set shutdown and session options in Startup & Shutdown>Desktop Session - I disable confirm logout but leave offer options, default leave is shutdown, and on login restore manually saved session. This last setting requires the save session icon found in Power/Session in the main menu.
  13. Set numlock to on at startup - in Input Devices.
  14. Set mouse focus in Window Management to Focus Follows Mouse - Mouse Precedence - this auto focuses windows without the need to click.
  15. Create a Linux info text file in Home to store unusual commands that I don’t use very often to avoid hours of re-googling!
6 Likes

Great topic!

It would be interesting to see how the list of todos differs for each of us.

Here is mine:

• Setup my activities. My standard ones are one for social apps, one for packaging and one for browsing, and from time to time I use others depending on what projects am working on.
  • Setup my shortcuts. I have krunner on meta+`, yakuake on meta+1, switch activities on meta+tab. I also use screen edges for presenting and hiding open windows and mouse scroll on desktop for switching activities.
  • Setup my panels and widgets. I use a small side panel for the task manager and a top panel with a few widgets (pastebin, clock, network, temp, cpu/ram) and system tray.
  • Setup bumblebee. I am on an intel+nvidia laptop and unfortunately we don’t have an automated driver detection for this in Chakra yet. Am not much of a gamer, so I rarely use the dedicated card; I just keep it turned off to save consumption.
  • Install all my go to apps. This would actually make a great thread on it’s own!

I will make sure to update this list as more things come to my mind!

3 Likes

on a all new system

• move the panel to the right side
  • set up my wifi later remove networkmanager and switch to connman
  • set up my short cuts
  • edit fstab with additional filesytem options
  • disable and mask unwanted systemd services
  • set up tmpfs with systemd-mount for /var/log, /var/tmp and ~/.cache
  • remove unwanted programs and libary
  • trigger update
  • install programs like palemoon
  • customize my desktop and disable desktop effects
  • tune the boot process
3 Likes

Cool people - we’re all so different :sunglasses:

Can I make a suggestion - add links to howto’s like I did because I thought this could be useful to new users so they could look through what we (experienced users) do and find out HOW to do the same thing so they don’t have to regoogle something we do repeatedly and have links to on our PCs - e.g @brikler switch to connman :sunglasses:

4 Likes

i like conman because connman there are less dependencies than networkmanager

#connman
optdepends=('bluez: Support for Bluetooth devices'
            'wpa_supplicant: For WiFi devices'
            'pptpclient: for ppp support')

makedepends=('bluez' 'wpa_supplicant' 'openconnect' 'openvpn' 'ppp')
#networkmanager
makedepends=(intltool dhclient iptables gobject-introspection gtk-doc "ppp=$_pppver" modemmanager
             dbus-glib iproute2 nss polkit wpa_supplicant libsoup systemd libgudev rp-pppoe
             libnewt libndp libteam vala perl-yaml python3-gobject git vala jansson bluez-libs)

depends=(iproute2 polkit wpa_supplicant libsoup modemmanager
         libnewt libndp libteam curl "ppp=$_pppver"
         libgudev nss dbus-glib util-linux jansson systemd bluez-libs glib-networking)

safety disclaimer: kids don’t try this at home because i take connman from arch and this could be difficult…without a livemedia.

how to setup connman https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Connman

2 Likes

would be nice to have a /skel subdir, which people actually like !

Dolphin’s standard /skel is very terrible !

This topic was automatically closed 170 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.