Running Inkscape fails and returns the error message "error while loading shared libraries: libpoppler.so.78: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory"

soname-bump

(Michael) #1

Hi,
this morning I upgraded inkscape inkscape-0.92.3-2, after which it has not started. So I started Inkscape from the terminal and I saw the following error:
“inkscape: error while loading shared libraries: libpoppler.so.78: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory”

How can I solve the problem?

(Luca Giambonini) #2

@FranzMari

shall we rebuild it?

(Neofytos Kolokotronis) #3

Hi mike,

This is a mistake on our end, related to the link shared above.

We can choose one of these solutions:

• move Inkscape back into testing with the rest of the poppler group and reintroduce the older package
  • rebuild inkscape both in stable and testing
  • move the poppler group move into stable

(Michael) #4

I do not understand guys. What exactly do I need to do to solve the problem?

(Hans Tovetjärn) #5

Hi @mike,

please search before posting - the search terms “error while loading shared libraries” and “cannot open shared object file” will both return this #help:faq entry:

Typing the error messages into your new topic title or body will trigger an automated search, notifying you of topics that are similar to your topic. These similar topics are listed in a blue popup window titled “Your topic is similar to…”.

The linked #help:faq entry provides step-by-step instructions with images on how to report this type of issue (and thus notifying the packagers) that it may be resolved. I have reported the issue on your behalf - please continue here, and report any future issues of this type directly in the issue tracker, thank you.

(Hans Tovetjärn) #6