QT_PLUGIN_PATH, how set and whether correct

What determines QT_PLUGIN_PATH?
If I open a Konsole window and type env it shows mine to be:

QT_PLUGIN_PATH=/usr/lib/kde4/plugins:/usr/lib/qt/plugins

Should not /usr/lib/qt5/plugins also be in this path?

I started looking because of the following in journalctl output.

systemsettings5[8006]: org.kde.kcoreaddons: Error loading plugin "kcm_lookandfeel" "The shared library was not found." 
                                                       Plugin search paths are ("/usr/lib/kde4/plugins", "/usr/lib/qt/plugins", "/usr/lib/qt5/plugins", "/usr/bin") 
                                                       The environment variable QT_PLUGIN_PATH might be not correctly set

Though it does say “/usr/lib/qt5/plugins” was in the Plugin search paths, so maybe it is set differently in the environment that System Settings is launched in than in my Konsole environment.

I find kcm_lookandfeel.so under /usr/lib/qt5/plugins/kcms/

On my system, QT_PLUGIN_PATH is the same as yours, but I don’t see that error in journalctl.

What package does /usr/lib/qt5/plugins/kcms/kcm_lookandfeel.so belong to on your system?
Mine’s owned by plasma-desktop 5.17.3-1

/usr/lib/qt5/plugins/kcms/kcm_lookandfeel.so is owned by plasma-desktop 5.17.3-1

After playing around it seems that this error occurs when I click on the Global Theme in the System Settings. I get a similar message (different plugin name) if I click into other applets in the System Settings.

I’m getting an odd phenomena: I can click into any such System Settings applet (well, all that I’ve tried), make a change successfully and back up to the top level again. If I click into a second applet, System Settings core dumps. It doesn’t even matter if I make a change in the first applet or not. Simply browsing a second applet results in a core dump. If I only use one, it’s fine.

I don’t know if this phenomena is related to the QT_PLUGIN_PATH error.

[Update: I found someone reporting the same phenomenon along with that same error message on the OpenSUSE forums. It was with Plasma 5.17.3 also, and he says that upgrading to 5.18.x fixed it. So hopefully this will go away once Chakra gets the update. It’s easy enough to workaround for now.]

This topic was automatically closed 170 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.