Need advice/experience(s) on Intel vs AMD for new PC build

(Gerard) #1

My laptop is dying and it’s time to build a proper PC. Naturally I want Chakra running on it. I know that both AMD and Intel based pc’s will produce a running system.

However, since I will never go back to windows, I might as well build a pc that is better suited to run Linux on. There is lot of discussion on the internet, but when it comes to advice and shared experiences, it’s hard to see the forest for the trees. Personal preference etc. makes it all pretty biased too.

The main use of the pc will be for office use, photo editing and light video editing.

I would like to have some input regarding two components, the processor and the graphics card. Is the motherboard chipset important, would a b450 h370 be overkill?

Should I go for an AMD system, a Ryzen processor and Radeon graphics card,
or an Intel system, with a Core I? processor with a Nvidia graphics card,
Would a mixed system either way be a better solution?

Regarding the options, what do I have to keep in mind, be prepared for regarding driver compatibility? What would be best for smooth operation and compatibility/functionality?

Maybe these ponderings are sort of obsolete nowadays, nevertheless I sincerely appreciate the input! The answers can be quite short I think, but am happy to hear what you think.

(kepszlok) #2

I have some bad experience with the nVidia drivers, both open and closed versions. Meanwhile, my Radeon RX570 works fine with the open driver. (i do gaming on Linux)

I’m also a Ryzen fan, ryzen’s sheer performance / price factor is awsome. Best combo: good B450 board with an 2600X + a good cooler. - Ryzen is sensitive to ram speed. Do not buy any ram that worse than 3000MHz CL16 - for best cpu performance.

Btw, Intel CPU’s are quite overpriced in these days due to their manufacturing problems.

(Gerard) #3

Thanks a lot @kepszlok, that helps a lot! I have my eyes on a Ryzen system btw… in the past always been used to nvidia for graphics, but now I put a pc together myself since long time I am a bit confused especially with graphics (chipsets).

There is a part where I am a bit confused also when it comes to putting together a system, and it’s ram speed indeed…
When looking for a processor - I have seen some nice priced ryzens - they always specify a certain system memory speed with it… e.g. Ryzen 7 1700 says 2667 MHz, Ryzen 5 2600 says 2933 MHz.
I would think the wise choice would be to go with that one, isn’t that right?

What your saying about Intel is quite true! It’s amazing what even previous generations of the Ix cost…

Regarding Radeon chipsets I have - and will do - some homework…

(kepszlok) #4

Well, Ryzen 2xxx series does officilay support ram for up to 3200MHz, they are in the motherbords ram support list. Of corse, they can use much faster (and expensive) rams too, but that’s tuning.
An easy choice with good price / performance rating is the Aegis 3000MHz CL16 kit, many Ryzen users have bought and happy with it.

Also, you may check my recent phoronix test suite results (tested on Chakra) from my oc’d R5 2600 cpu: https://prohardver.hu/tema/amd_ryzen_7_5_2_x_pinnacle_ridge_am4/hsz_8782-8782.html - it’s in hungarian, but click to the pictures, everything important is present on them.

(Gerard) #5

Thx… I always think checking the supported hardware list for the motherboard and other stuff is important, I do that too…

I have just seen that a Ryzen 7 1700 here is sold for just € 155… Somewhere that doesn’t sound right LOL Next week I finally decide… maybe I have some surprises, my budget is around € 750 without monitor… we’ll see…

thanks for your input :sunglasses:

(kepszlok) #6

The 1xxx Ryzen series are no longer manufactured. Also, the R7 1700 are a bad choice, because of it’s low core speeds. I do not recommend anything from the 1xxx series.

Also, if you don’t want to overclock the cpu, than stick with the (X) variants. That extra cash worth it.

(Gerard) #7

Seems I am more behind than I thought… LOL So glad I started this topic and postponed my final decision!

Just some days ago I thought that single core performance can play a significant roll…

(kepszlok) #8

It’s still does :slight_smile: That’s why the (X) versions are better. - you may check how the XFR2 works on Ryzen cpu’s.

(tom) #9

in this case i would always search an second hand offer because new hardware is really expensive compared with two or three year old offers and thy have only less (never needed) performance :wink:

laptop is dead when the screen or the cpu are broken :wink:
a ssd as replacement for a broken hdd will bring you a “new” experience…

(Gerard) #10

I have a cheap toshiba laptop… there is an area of .5 by 9 cm of pixels dead… fan sounds like a helicopter taking off, battery capacity says only about 40%, and so on… pretty much nearing it’s end of life…

I already have an ssd in the laptop, and a reasonable but 4:3 screen, which will save me on a new pc… since I have saved the money I will buy new anyways, but for a reasonable budget and pretty future save - which will not be a big problem with linux…

(Gerard) #11

That seems like a nifty and nice new feature… In my list is already a good cooler which seems to be important for the processor to utilize these features to it’s full potential…

1 Like
(Gerard) #12

No more new input needed… For now got a good deal (could potentially even sell it for more than I bought it for) on a I5/NVidia hybrid graphics Lenovo laptop.

After some more research AMD processor/AMD graphics and Intel processor/AMD Graphics are good options.

Hybrid graphics with NVidia is somewhat harder to set up, not necessarily a pain in the neck.