Jupyter console returns "ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'jupyter_core'" when run after Python update

(Francesco) #1

Hello everyone!!!

Thanks for the last big update, I was waiting mainly for the python update.

I’m having a minor issue, but I’m not sure if it’s related to my system or to the package itself.

When I lunch jupyter from the command line, I get this error:

$ jupyter
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/share/jupyter/jupyter", line 4, in <module>
    from jupyter_core.command import main
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'jupyter_core'

I check my system configuration and found that jupyter is still in the site-packages of Python 3.5. I try to uninstall and reinstall it, and it stays there. It hasn’t been ported to python 3.6 yet?

In alternative, do I have to add the old python 3.5 folder to the Python path, use a symlink or something similar to correct the problem?

Thanks a lot for help, let me know if you need more details on the problem.
Cheers!

1 Like
(totte) #2

Which version of Jupyter is this? Was it not upgraded? Check your pacman.log file. Are you using the [testing] repository? My initial guess is that it needs to be rebuilt, as an equivalent of this.

(Francesco) #3

Hi Totte!

Sorry for the few details.
No I’m not in [testing], I’m in stable.

I check the pacman.log and actually Jupyter has not been updated during the big update of couple of days ago. The same for the Ipython package which I think is needed by Jupyter.

The package version on my system are: jupyter 4.3.0-1 and ipython3 5.2.2-1.

I’ll try to find out if it’s the same for other packages on my system. I think you’re probably right anyway, they just need to be rebuilt.

Thanks for the help :beers:

1 Like
(totte) #4

Thanks for your reply, I suggest that you report it on the bug tracker as described in the link and it will taken care of.

It is possible that the FAQ entry needs to be supplemented by another entry with this error message, but I’m not sure if ModuleNotFoundError is the de facto standard error message returned… It could be that the module simply isn’t installed in certain cases.

A friendly advice - if you start a new topic while browsing #help, the default template is loaded into the composer where you type your post, which allows for quickly providing the most basic and relevant information.

(Francesco) #5

Ok I’ll do that immediatly.

The error is just a standard python import error. The packages required are actually installed from my understanding, but they are in the python3.5/site-packages folder and the system now is only looking in the 3.6 one. Once rebuilt against python 3.6 I think it will be ok as for all the other packages.

You’re right, my bad, I skip through it too fast :sweat_smile:

1 Like
(Francesco) #6

With the last update, everything is working again, thanks a lot to the packagers!

2 Likes
(system) closed #7

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.