Important upgrade of core package groups and Plasma 5.12 series by KDE now available in Chakra

gcc
curated
kde-applications
kde-plasma

(Neofytos Kolokotronis) #1

Also available in Italian, Spanish and Taiwanese Mandarin.

Hi everyone,

We have been considering upgrading gcc and our toolchain to the latest available versions for a while now, and thanks to @AlmAck’s initiative and the work of our packagers this is now done.

mascot_konqi-app-utilities-SMALLKonqis by KDE under CC BY-SA

This change was complicated, as shipping gcc 7.3 meant there were issues concerning backwards compatibility and breakage of packages we had to address. It required an update or recompilation of more than 1300 packages in our repositories, while some other packages had to be dropped. Have in mind that if you have local or CCR packages installed, they might need a rebuild after this upgrade to work properly. Please read the initial gcc upgrade thread for more details in regards to the above.

To perform this update, we recommend switching to a text-only console (tty) using for example Ctrl+Alt+F3 and then running sudo pacman -Syu, as there have been reported cases when the desktop environment became unresponsive during the upgrade.

On top of that, we now also provide the brand new Plasma 5.12.2 by KDE, together with the latest Applications 17.12.2 and Frameworks 5.43.0. The Plasma 5.12 series offers a series of enhancements, check out the highlights in the official video:

We tried to catch and fix any issues while all these packages were in our testing repository, but it is possible we might have missed something. If you come across a broken application or library after this upgrade, please make sure to report it on our new bugtracker. Many thanks to all our @testers for their feedback, your help in quality assurance for Chakra is irreplaceable.

It should be safe to answer yes to any replacement question by the package manager application. If in doubt or if you face another issue in relation to this update, please ask or report it below.

Most of our mirrors take 12-24 hours to synchronize with the central repositories on the origin server. Use the mirror status web page to see when your mirror of choice last synchronized.

Enjoy!

Actualización importante de los grupos de paquetes principales y de Plasma 5.12 de KDE ahora disponible en Chakra
Latest status of the testing repository [7 Feb 2018 - 25 Feb 2018]
Mass rebuild for GCC ABI changes
(Cazador) #2

After update not desktop show, it freeze.
Terminal tty work, connexion to internet not work

(Neofytos Kolokotronis) #3

Sorry to hear that. Did the update finish successfully? Can you share the relevant part of /var/log/pacman.log? Did you reboot? At what point does the freeze occur? What is the output for sudo journalctl -p err?

(Cazador) #4

I start in multi-target system and run startx

Error show is that

Xf86enableioports: failed to set iopl for i/o (operation not permitted)

(Cazador) #5

Hi!
After read systemctl -p err, reinstall virtualbox and Linux package reboot system and work perfect again.
Sorry for the inconvenient

Thanks for your hard work!!

Greetings
Cazador

(Jean-Baptiste Louvet) #6

Hi!

First of all, thank you for the work you’ve done to keep our OS up to date!

The upgrade went smoothly and, up to now I have only one issue: I had to uninstall kbibtex that required poppler-qt4 (which seems to be now just poppler).

Of course, now when I try to insall kbibtex from CCR, I get an error message:

Ccr Targets    (1): kbibtex
Pacman Targets (1): poppler-qt4

Proceed with installation? [Y/n] 

resolving dependencies...
 warning: cannot resolve "poppler=0.60.1", a dependency of "poppler-qt4"
:: The following package cannot be upgraded due to unresolvable dependencies:
      poppler-qt4

:: Do you want to skip the above package for this upgrade? [y/N] 
error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies)
:: poppler-qt4: requires poppler=0.60.1
Installation failed.

Is there a way to solve this? Kbibtex is an essential tool for me, I use it everyday to work.

Thanks for your help !

(Neofytos Kolokotronis) #7

Apparently upstream dropped support for poppler-qt4 in the latest release, so we should consider dropping it from our repos together with the packages that depend on it.

Did you try using kbibtext-git version? That one should be the branch ported to Frameworks 5.

(Knut Hildebrandt) #8

Thanks for the smooth update. Always fear these big updates since I already had ended up with an unresponsive system. This time I did not encounter any major problems. While pacman did it’s job on a text-only console (tty) I even could continue working in Plasma. Unfortunately not all the programs I use do work anymore. Ardour for instance crashes on startup and needs repackaging. Already filed an issue. Rebuilding CCR packages was recommended, but does not work for all of them. Some dependencies aren’t met anymore and some packages can’t be reinstalled for conflicts. Hope this will be fixed soon by the maintainers. Thanks again for the good job.

(Neofytos Kolokotronis) #9

This topic was automatically closed after 85 days. New replies are no longer allowed.