How to install libuuid?

So I’m trying to run Borderlands 2 through Steam, but it keeps crashing. When I run the executable in Konsole, I get:

error while loading shared libraries: libuuid.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I tried reinstalling e2fsprogs, because libuuid is apparently part of that package. That did not do the trick.

I also tried building from here, but to no avail.

I would greatly appreciate it if someone could point out the glaringly obvious solution that I’m missing here. Thanks in advance.

Please run Steam from terminal and launch the game. After it crashes, please post the terminal log here, just to be sure about the root cause of the crashes.

[tom@frija ~]$ LC_ALL=C pacman -Qo /usr/lib/libuuid.so.1
/usr/lib/libuuid.so.1 is owned by util-linux 2.33.2-1

Good call; thanks. I’m getting a different error when I run Steam in the terminal:

GameAction [AppID 49520, ActionID 1] : LaunchApp changed task to ProcessingInstallScript with ""
GameAction [AppID 49520, ActionID 1] : LaunchApp changed task to SynchronizingCloud with ""
GameAction [AppID 49520, ActionID 1] : LaunchApp changed task to SiteLicenseSeatCheckout with ""
GameAction [AppID 49520, ActionID 1] : LaunchApp changed task to CreatingProcess with ""
GameAction [AppID 49520, ActionID 1] : LaunchApp waiting for user response to CreatingProcess ""
GameAction [AppID 49520, ActionID 1] : LaunchApp continues with user response "CreatingProcess"
Opted-in Controller Mask for AppId 49520: 0
Game update: AppID 49520 "", ProcID 1771, IP 0.0.0.0:0
Starting app 49520
Installing breakpad exception handler for appid(steam)/version(1560549607)
>>> Adding process 1771 for game ID 49520
GameAction [AppID 49520, ActionID 1] : LaunchApp changed task to WaitingGameWindow with ""
ERROR: ld.so: object '/home/ed/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/gameoverlayrenderer.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be prelo
aded (wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32): ignored.
GameAction [AppID 49520, ActionID 1] : LaunchApp changed task to Completed with ""
>>> Adding process 1773 for game ID 49520
ERROR: ld.so: object '/usr/$LIB/libgpg-error.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded (cannot open shared object file)
: ignored.
ERROR: ld.so: object '/home/ed/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_64/gameoverlayrenderer.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be prelo
aded (wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64): ignored.
/run/media/ed/Data/SteamLibrary/steamapps/common/Borderlands 2/./Borderlands2: Symbol `_ZTVN10__cxxabiv120__si_class_
type_infoE' has different size in shared object, consider re-linking
/run/media/ed/Data/SteamLibrary/steamapps/common/Borderlands 2/./Borderlands2: Symbol `_ZTVN10__cxxabiv117__class_typ
e_infoE' has different size in shared object, consider re-linking
/run/media/ed/Data/SteamLibrary/steamapps/common/Borderlands 2/./Borderlands2: Symbol `_ZTVN10__cxxabiv121__vmi_class
_type_infoE' has different size in shared object, consider re-linking
JS method call Messaging.PostMessage with 4 arguments
JS method call SharedConnection.SendMsgAndAwaitResponse with 3 arguments
Game update: AppID 49520 "", ProcID 1773, IP 0.0.0.0:0
Setting breakpad minidump AppID = 49520
Steam_SetMinidumpSteamID:  Caching Steam ID:  76561198191634109 [API loaded no]
ERROR: ld.so: object '/home/ed/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/gameoverlayrenderer.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be prelo
>>> Adding process 1777 for game ID 49520
>>> Adding process 1794 for game ID 49520
Game removed: AppID 49520 "", ProcID 1773
Exiting app 49520
No cached sticky mapping in ActivateActionSet.JS method call Messaging.PostMessage with 4 arguments
JS method call Messaging.PostMessage with 4 arguments

(I only copied the output from after I tried to run the game, for the sake of brevity)

Here the issue seems to be with ld.so and gameoverlayrenderer.so; I’ll check up on that now.

Okay, that’s my mistake. Reinstalling util-linux did not fix the issue, though. Nonetheless, thanks for the advice.

Apparently, that’s not it either. The gameoverlay.so thing seems to be a red herring.

Gameoverlay.so is just a warninng it’s safe to ignore, we have it too. Also, you can try to disable it in Steam.

You can also try steam --reset, it will re-download it’s libs. May fix problems.

You can also try steam --reset, it will re-download it’s libs. May fix problems.

Unfortunately, that also did not do the trick. I’m still stuck.