How old is your Chakra installation?

tips

(serafean) #21

Gentoo is my distro of choice (giant package repo, extreme flexibility – just a few months ago I got fed up with the package manager portage, and seamlessly switched to paludis…), but on my current laptop, having it update itself for two days every month isn’t very practical. So I chose Chakra, which is 90% of what I want.

(tom) #22

what is the missing 10%?

“not less then 32 characters” :stuck_out_tongue:

(serafean) #23

Package slots (multiple versions of packages available) - I currently have 4 versions of gcc, 3 versions of python and 4 different kernels installed concurrently on my Gentoo development machine. All managed by the package manager.
Choice (sometimes) between bundled and system libraries. For instance ffmpeg. I know that neither tvheadend nor Kodi use their bundled ffmpeg, but the system version, which is updated regularly. The same goes for firefox and rust.
Use flags - system wide set of features I want enabled. (also available per package)
Systemd is optional. (i do use it on most machines though)
Flexibility – switching between ffmpeg/libav is pretty easy. nvidia blob/nouveau, systemd/openrc. All pretty easily switchable.

These are the first that came to mind, I’m sure I could come up with a few more :slight_smile:

(Gor) #24

This is mine
ls -lct /etc | tail -1 | awk '{print $6, $7, $8}'
08.02.2014 16:11 anacrontab

ll /var/log/installation.log
-rw-r–r-- 1 root root 110352 08.02.2014 16:16 /var/log/installation.log

super happy so far.
Thank you for all the work in providing the stable distro.

(truko22 🇻🇪) #25

:smile::+1:t4:
-rw-r–r-- 1 root root 52211 21.12.2016 02:51 /var/log/installation.log

(Johannes) #26

On this, my main desktop,
-rw-r–r-- 1 root root 56K 31.12.2017 11:39 /var/log/installation.log

On my notebook, a few weeks older.

So, both still very young :smiley:

(Neofytos Kolokotronis) #27

It’s great to see so many systems that are well maintained. It looks like the times where you had to reinstall Linux distros every couple of months due to issues are behind us!

And nice to see some new users around, I hope these installations grow old and healthy. :smiley:

(Mauricio José Adonis Carrasco) #28

Of course , Chakra is one the most stable distros out there…

(AGA) #29

Hmm. I thought it happened earlier.

ls -lct /etc | tail -1 | awk ‘{print $6, $7, $8}’
03.11.2016 02:48

(tomaggio) #30

I#ve three installations: The oldest is
$ ls -la /var/log/installation.log
-rw-r–r-- 1 root root 55616 10.09.2012 18:59 /var/log/installation.log

There is no installation.log at the other ones but I think both are from 11.2015

(Neofytos Kolokotronis) #31

3 installations, wow! I wonder if there is someone with more than that, perhaps the topic of another thread. :smiley:

You can also use $ ls -lct /etc | tail -1 as suggested by @James_Che in his comment above.

(Hugo Beltran de Heredia Llamazares) #32

After few installs and reinstalls in my new (old) machine I got

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 36902 29.03.2018 17:46 /var/log/installation.log

I hope this time will last as long as you!

(tomaggio) #33

That will not help because i recently exchanged my harddrive. So timestamp changed :frowning:

(Hans Tovetjärn) #34

2 posts were split to a new topic: Can’t update old system with pacman -Syu

(Neofytos Kolokotronis) #35

This topic was automatically closed 170 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.