How old is your Chakra installation?

tips

(Neofytos Kolokotronis) #1

I realized recently that my main Chakra installation is going to be 5 years old in a month!

So I was wondering, how old or young are fellow users’ installations? Do you manage to maintain the same system over a period of time without needing to reinstall? Does anyone have an older Chakra system than me? :smirk:

The best way I could find to check for how long I have been running a system is in the details of the installation.log file.

$ ls -l /var/log/installation.log

In my case, the output is

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 81111 29.10.2012 00:36 /var/log/installation.log

Have in mind that if you installed using the Ian ISO, this file might be missing due to a known bug. But since Ian came out in 2016.02, and Goedel in 2017.03, you know your system was installed somewhere in between.

An alternative way is to use (thanks @James_Che)

$ ls -lct /etc | tail -1

To get back to my system, this installation has served me very well over the years and it’s been my daily driver ever since I bought my laptop. I have really put it through many tests. I keep installing and removing all sorts of applications and libraries to check for problems. I even break it on purpose to help users troubleshoot or our developers to tackle an issue. And of course it has survived all the manual interventions over these years. It will be sad having to delete this one once I decide to upgrade to an SSD drive, which should be sometime soon…

I think if you maintain your system in a good state and carefully follow the instructions provided by our developers when needed, having a system that works well for you over several years is not that difficult.

(Rémy Epke) #2

/var/log/installation.log doesn’t exist on my desktop, so I’m guessing I installed that from Ian but can’t remember. All I remember is that I reinstalled it when, and only because, I upgraded to an SSD.

Ah, Goedel:

$ lsb_release -a
LSB Version:    1.4
Distributor ID: Chakra
Description:    Chakra
Release:        2017.02
Codename:       Gödel

The laptop gets a fresh install with every new ISO, to test installation.

(Neofytos Kolokotronis) #3

lsb_release shows the latest ISO release, since I get Goedel here also. Probably this is packaged for the ISO.

Yeah, switching to another drive seems to be a good reason to start clean.

(Luca Giambonini) #4

mine is from: 28.09.2013 20:40
:blush: almost 4 years!
considering that is my main development machine (and test machine) I’m surprised that I never had to reinstall it.

(tom) #5

i am using chakra since the second archimedes release :slight_smile:
and i was using a descartes on a second notbook but since a view days this laptop is irreparable damaged => it is possible to carry a installation a long time when you knowledge is up to date.

there is no need to do this because you can clone your system :wink:
i am using tar for this purpose.

(Neofytos Kolokotronis) #6

Hmm, that means your installation must have occured sometime in 2012 also.

How about writing more on how to do this and sharing it under #tutorials? :upside_down_face:

(Ram-Z) #7

No, it’s not… Just rsync your old install over, then boot into it. :wink:

(tom) #8

i am using chakra since 14.4.2012

brikler
MemberFrom: deutschland

i had read in the german linux mint forum from chakra “get a try because it’s KDE but it is fast as lightning *blabla”^^

perhaps…i will see…
done: How to clone your system with tar

(Jeff Huang) #9

For me:
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 131833 26.09.2013 20:36 /var/log/installation.log

(Johannes Frings) #10

my Chakra install ist from 07.03.2013 23:32

(serafean) #11
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 8.2M 07.01.2012 01:42 /var/log/installation.log

Boy has this system seen stuff.
ext4-> btrfs migration, rc.d -> systemd, kde4 -> kde5 and lately a new drive to replace a dying one, many unbootable states. Booted it in many different PCs (for some reason switching disks was easier than getting a liveUSB)

I came from archlinux & kdemod. Am using Gentoo on more powerful machines.

(Fred Talmadge) #12

My installation is only a few months old 16.07.2017 since I reinstalled it while recovering some unused Windows partition. May do it again to get rid of an Invalid Partition error I created deleting the W10 boot partition. Otherwise I’ve been using Chakra since about 2012 on a couple of different laptops.

(James) #13

At this moment I have Chakra installed on two notebooks. In the oldest is not the file that you mention but running this command

ls -lct /etc | tail -1 | awk ‘{print $6, $7, $8}’

tells me that it is 2016-04-16 09:31
On the other laptop exists the file and says

-rw -r-r-- 1 root root 38809 Jun 3 01:05 /var/log/installation.log

(Neofytos Kolokotronis) #14

Oh wow, we do have some dedicated old time users here! It’s so satisfying to see these systems still serve you well after so many years and all the changes that happened in the meantime.

I see @serafean wins so far with the oldest system. :clap: This must have been installed using the ISO codenamed ‘Edn’, which was available from 28.11.2011 until 11-02-2012 (back then we still supported 32-bit!).

Oh, this is a good alternative, thanks for sharing.

Did you accidentally delete the year here?

(James) #15

No, I guess it’s because it’s this year, I just bought that laptop for those dates.
And I also had a 2013 install on a desktop PC but the motherboard died :disappointed_relieved:

(Jairo Benitez) #16

mine is a really new instalation:
root 42047 21.01.2017 14:10 /var/log/installation.log
that because a forced reinstallation. I had Fermi all the time but just before the release of Goedels I had a real big problem and I had to make a fresh installation

(gopona) #17

4 years :
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 152028 08.08.2013 22:40 /var/log/installation.log

(dinolib) #18

-rw-r–r-- 1 root root 46867 13.02.2017 14:43 /var/log/installation.log

New installation with SDD at work.

(ericjs) #19

Just out of curiosity, why Gentoo on more powerful machines? Is there something about it that takes more advantage of the power?

(tom) #20

i think it is for compiling the packages because this is expensive