Chakra 2018.12 "Hawking" RC1 released

release

(Bobby Rong) #14

I tried the latest ISO and did a installation. It works better than expected. Fcitx finally works out of the box. :tada:
After doing some configuration on the latte dock and the top panel, the layout suits my need now! (smaller icons, shorter react time, moving the app menu to the top panel) :grinning:

Some problems/suggestions:

• Slide show in calamares should be updated as many default apps changes (eg the video player). (Also, please show us that which program is removed/added in the final release note of this release)
  • The Beginners Guide button should link to the correct url.
  • Consider using elisa as the default music player?
  • After entering the passwd in SDDM, it takes a long time to load the plasma desktop. Solved after enabled the testing repo and did an upgrade.
  • Not everyone loves latte dock (including me at first). Although it is easy to switch back to the traditional layout (by disabling its autostart), a guide should be provided in a conspicuous place (I will write one tomorrow if possible Done)

(Void) #15

I’m glad there’s a new release.
In the internet era, everyone updates just after installation, but a new release shows to new potential users, that this distro is alive and kicking,

(Neofytos Kolokotronis) #16

Oh it’s good to see already such comprehensive feedback!

Here’s my experience on the Live ISO, as unfortunately I did not find the time yet to test an actual installation. I booted the ISO on 2 rather old systems with no major showstopper:

1. 2011 intel+nvidia (hybrid) laptop
  2. 2009 intel+nvidia laptop

Issues

• Slow boot and slow Calamares launch (known)
  • I got the screen display pop up for some reason (where you choose the screen setup), maybe because of the hybrid graphics?
  • Beginners Guide link is broken as @bobby285271 pointed out , I would update it with this one: How to install Chakra

Suggestions:

• The traditional menu (application launcher) seems a bit weird with the new dock, is there an alternative we could consider?
  • Switching Dragon player with VLC if possible, as a more powerful video player.

It’s true that we need a new solid music app, but is elisa mature enough to replace clementine (which appears to not be actively developed)?

Oh and I love the new lock screen, great work! :clap: :slight_smile:

(kepszlok) #17

@tetris4 VLC had strange playback issues this year. I recommend SMPlayer instead of VLC.

(Bobby Rong) #18

Maybe move it to the top panel?

Or… Juk? The one in the kdemultimedia package group?

(totte) #20

See this issue:

The Welcome topic is its new equivalent, and the starting point in a series of tutorials put together to give a basic understanding of Chakra. The former MediaWiki installation is no more.

I updated some of the text in the plasmoid to reflect the changes over the past few years, see the following commits:

(HJ) #21

looks nice, however still to bloated for my taste.

It would be better if there would be a minimal release containing only plasma, octopie and a webbrowser.

Everything else is installed(if needed) in seconds with the package manager. Not to mention that this is a rolling release distro with only a few releases each year so the first thing you do after an install is a complete system update.

PS: e2fsck is outdated so im unable to resize my existing devuan partition(e2fsck 1.42.13 (17-May-2015) /dev/sda6 has unsupported feature(s): metadata_csum e2fsck: Get a newer version of e2fsck!)

(Luca Giambonini) #22

legit questions!
One of the main reason to propose this layout is to use the “global menu” at the top left of the screen. With this menu we can use simplified windows without compromising the functionality. In the past we used to hide the menu entirely, but this approach is a bit more transparent for the user.
Therefore, to complete that we need a new bottom panel, a simple one that autohide when not used and Latte does the work perfectly (an other things also :slight_smile: ).

ok, let’s continue the discussion here:

hmm… on virtualbox I never had problem, but I will check if all modules are loaded correctly.

please open a bug report here with more details. Thank you!

I agree that can be very powerful, but is absolutely necessary for you not for all. A pacman -S mc should be enough :slight_smile:

Seem a bit more complicated, https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Hardware_video_acceleration
Are you sure that installing all this packages (and the ccr one) is enough and they don’t conflicts each other?

Good thanks for your feedback. I agree with you that the “application launcher” in the dock is a bit weird, I will try to move it in the top as you did.
I will open some issues in gitlab with your advices.
Thank you for the guide!

I will move it at the top as per bobby285271’s suggestion. Other suggestions are welcome.

A network installer was planned to provide a minimal release, but so far we haven0t the time to prepare it, sorry. Is in our todo list though.

done in [testing]

Current status of the testing repository [2019-02-07 - 2019-02-14]
(kepszlok) #23

In my desktop with a Radeon RX570, there where no other steps required.
I just installed these packages:
libva-mesa-driver
mesa-vdpau
libva-vdpau-driver
vdpauinfo (ccr)
libva-utils (ccr)

And both vaapi and vdpau works fine, any good video player can use them. For Intel graphics, libva-intel-driver package needed but it can be installed with the others, they did not conflict at all. The package intel-media-driver may needed for newer Intel chips, but we did not have that package.

nouveau users may need the nouveau-fw package, but we did not have that. But Nvidia driver users have the needed nvidia-utils package installed with the main nvidia driver.

So yes, installing these packages are enough. Then VLC, SMplayer and MVP will be able to use the proper hw acceleration by default.

If you have working internet connection. In a perfect world… :slight_smile:

I will do it tomorow.

(tom) #24

thy can use hardware acceleration but is not the default option :wink:

it is a good idea to prepare the installation for “native” hardware acceleration. but before the hardware detection must be remastered.

(kepszlok) #25

Not in SMPlayer and MPV, that’s true. But it’s enabled by default in VLC.
Also in Kodi, both va-api and vdpau are enabled by default.

Btw, changeing the hw detection does not realy needed. Most of the work can be done by changing mesa-vdpau and libva-mesa-driver packages from optional to needed dependency of the mesa package. The same can be done with the libva-… packages.
I did not see a reason of why these packages are optional. Leaving them out did not add to someone’s system any benefit at all.

(tom) #26

the hw detection script removes unneeded drivers but perhaps it is better placed in a extra script

(Luca Giambonini) #27

And… what if we switch back to amarok?
or… elisa is not so bad, and seems also stable on my pc.

(Bobby Rong) #28

Is amarok actively developed? Or it just has a long release cycle?

https://download.kde.org/stable/amarok/

(Luca Giambonini) #29

hmm… is not an intensive development, but is still alive :slight_smile:
https://cgit.kde.org/amarok.git/log/

EDIT:
smplayer with the breeze skin look nice:

EDIT2:
moved the kickoff menu:

added basic vdpau packages @kepszlok

(tom) #30

why not bomi?
bomi is working well for me

(kepszlok) #31

Amarok brings back good memories. It’s works fine at the moment. It have a big amount of working netradio and in general, Amarok is a good music player and it’s got an EQ. Btw, graphical EQ is missing from the current release.

Clementine is similar to Amarok, but it looks awsome, have a cool graphical EQ and can access to spotify and other cloud based streaming media. And streaming media is quite important in this days.

Elisa in the other hand are a too basic player with a too simple ui.

I did vote for Clementine.

Wohoooo! :slight_smile:
There are plans to add the mesa related packages?

Bomi also uses hw acceleration by default. Because of we just added the vdpau packages, we shoud choose a player what uses hw acceleration by default. So it’s vlc or bomi, both are good players.

(tom) #32

i would prefer bomi over vlc because it looks much better and is qt

…and vaapi support is added now see https://code.chakralinux.org/chakra/tools/chakra-iso/commit/d67119ca574a865c1da72c7d2eb84af589aa84ea

(kepszlok) #33

Yes, my mistake. I meant the mesa related packages, for HW acceleration in web browsers.

(Luca Giambonini) #34

Ok, for this release we can keep Clementine as music player and dragon for video. They works fine and are simple, for any advanced user there is VLC or any other player that can be installed manually.

About vdpau:

Today I will prepare the RC2, thanks you all for the feedback!