Can't install "Shockwave Flash" in Firefox

(Nuno Santos) #1

Hi there!

I’ve tried to activate shockwave flash in firefox but I haven’t been well succeeded.

I downloaded flash from the site and extracted the content. I tried to copy libflashplayer.so to /lib/mozilla/plugins but Firefox doesn’t recognize the plugin. I did this from the command line and as root and I get no error message.

Anyone experienced this?

(totte) #2

Hi @sotnas,

please read this before posting.

What “site” are you referring to? Why are you doing this? Why not simply install flashplugin from the official Chakra repositories?

$ sudo pacman -S flashplugin
(Nuno Santos) #3

Hi @totte

I tried to install the flashplugin but I got this:

(2/2) checking keys in keyring                       [############################] 100%
(2/2) checking package integrity                     [############################] 100%
(2/2) loading package files                          [############################] 100%
(2/2) checking for file conflicts                    [############################] 100%
error: failed to commit transaction (conflicting files)
flashplugin: /usr/share/kde4/services/kcm_adobe_flash_player.desktop exists in filesystem
Errors occurred, no packages were upgraded.

I wasn’t being able to delete the file, because I can’t open Dolphin in root mode. And Octopi wasn’t overwritting the file.

So I tried to download the package from oficial site. And followed some instructions found on the web. Things went from bad to worse because there were a lot more files conflicting because I copied some files in lib and usr folders.

Meanwhile, I googled a bit and I was able to delete the duplicated file that was causing the conflict (actually I was able to delete all the duplicated files generated after I tried to do things by hand). And so, afterwards, Octopi was able to install the flashplugin from repositories.

Sorry but I’m a newbie. Once I tried Neptune KDE and I messed about a lot of things for not knowing what I was doing. Since I’m trying to convert Chakra into my daily professional use computer, I’m trying to be as careful as I can about messing with stuff so it won’t break. I don’t have programming skills nor am I CLI user (although I started computing with the old MS-DOS and it’s command line since there was no GUI).

Thank you all for the patience with me. And sorry for the lost time.

(totte) #4

Please use code, and not quote, formatting for output.

If you search for the error you pasted, you’ll find this topic.

See How to use pacman to search for, install, upgrade, and uninstall packages, specifically the -Qkk option, for information on how to check that all files owned by the given package(s) are present on the system.

What official site? What instructions? When asking questions, keep in mind that we aren’t psychic or have direct access to your computer. Provide facts, not vague descriptions.

(Nuno Santos) #5

From Adobe oficial site.

The instructions I found, after using google to search, were to download the package from https://get.adobe.com/br/flashplayer/ and after extracting it’s content to use the following commands:

sudo cp libflashplayer.so /lib/mozilla/plugins
sudo cp -r /usr/* /usr

But even after doing this the plugin wouldn’t be recognized by Firefox. Only after deleating all the conflicting files was I able to install the flashplugin from the official repositiories. Now, Firefox recognizes the plugin.

(totte) #6

Beware of sketchy “instructions” on random blogs or the like.

I don’t understand what this is supposed to accomplish - you’re probably better off letting pacman handle the management of packages and their files. It is, after all, its purpose.

(system) closed #8

This topic was automatically closed 42 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.