Can't download Chakra 2017.10 "Goedel" via BitTorrent using Ktorrent

(Matt Hopper) #1

Anybody else having issue downloading Geodel from the main Chakra site? I am attempting to this morning and when it opens in Ktorrent I get an error that there was an invalid response from the tracker.

I attempted to go to linuxtracker.org/ and download geodel from there, but now seem to have an attempted hijack of my browser asking me to call to unlock everything… which I’ve not gotten to go away yet.

(I was able to download via one of the HTTP links, but somethings seems up with the torrent…)

(Isaac A.) #2

I noticed the same issue when I tried it yesterday. Linuxtracker was down from what I could tell.

(Adomas Jackevičius) #3

I had same issue today. I was unable to download via torrent file, had to use simple HTTP download.

(Neofytos Kolokotronis) #4

It seems to be working for me now.

Unfortunately we’ve had issues with the torrent since the release. It could be that linuxtracker is facing problems. Maybe @totte knows more.

(totte) #5

I’ve heard from @tetris4 that certain users on social networks have experienced unspecified issues when downloading the release via BitTorrent, but I couldn’t reproduce them on my end with the Transmission BitTorrent client. I uploaded a new .torrent file, and contacted the staff of linuxtracker.org, after which one user stated that the download was now working as expected.

At this time no errors are reported by Transmission running on the server where the release is hosted, nor do I get any errors when downloading the release by using the .torrent file. I’ve only got KTorrent version 4.3.1 (using KDE Development Platform 4.14.16) available right now, but there are no issues or errors reported using that either. I even tried with and without being connected to a VPN, but there is no apparent difference.

Unfortunately there isn’t a whole lot to do due to lack of information. I recommend comparing this release of Chakra to other, previous releases, as well as that of other distributions, with a variety of BitTorrent clients. Also see if your ISP or local network has any effect on usage of BitTorrent. If you do end up having issues, please report the verbatim error messages and state which software and version of it that you use, as well as the exact steps to reproduce, as you would report a bug.

Regarding the browser or operating system being hijacked, I suggest that you create a new topic about it and try to follow the guidelines. A cursory glance at the following websites suggests that nothing is out of order with linuxtracker.org at the time of writing this:

https://transparencyreport.google.com/safe-browsing/search?url=linuxtracker.org

I have no idea what is going on since the opening post doesn’t really contain much information, but it is possible that your system is compromised somehow.

1 Like
(system) closed #6

This topic was automatically closed 170 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.