Automatic mounting of internal drives

(Maerman) #1

So I’ve been trying to enable automatic mounting of one of the internal drives in my laptop, so far without success. Am I missing a piece of software? The drive in question consists of the two partitions Data and Musiek. As you can see from the screenshot below, I’ve tried enabling the automatic mounting of the drive in question in the KDE System Settings app (this has worked in the past, on other distributions, so I’m thinking that it’s just a question of a missing piece of software or some default setting that needs to be changed). I tried searching online for things like ‘automatic mounting of internal drives in linux’, et cetera, but to no avail. Any ideas?

(totte) #2

What are the contents of /etc/fstab and the output of lsblk --output NAME,MOUNTPOINT,LABEL,SIZE,FSTYPE,TYPE,MODEL? None of my devices are listed in that KCM, for what it’s worth.

(Maerman) #3

Okay, so my /etc/fstab looks like this:

(file system) (mount point) (type) (options) (dump) (pass)
UUID=72B5-BB45 /boot/efi vfat defaults,noatime 0 2
UUID=22c01108-e86f-4114-9734-a0065b6ce057 / ext4 defaults,noatime,discard 0 1
UUID=f6971766-d0be-4072-b531-ab9a2c504a0d swap swap defaults,noatime,discard 0 2
tmpfs /tmp tmpfs defaults,noatime,mode=1777 0 0
fstab.txt (699 Bytes)

I attached it to this post as a .txt file as well. As for the output of that command:

NAME MOUNTPOINT LABEL SIZE FSTYPE TYPE MODEL sda 238.5G disk Micron_1100_MTFDDAV256TBN ├─sda1 /boot/efi 300M vfat part ├─sda2 / 229.4G ext4 part └─sda3 [SWAP] 8.8G swap part sdb 931.5G disk TOSHIBA_MQ04ABF100 ├─sdb1 /run/media/ed/Musiek Musiek 500G ext4 part └─sdb2 /run/media/ed/Data Data 431.5G vfat part

I’m just spitballing here, but I was wondering if it might be an issue with udisks2? Should I try looking into that, or do you think the problem lies elsewhere?

(totte) #4

That KCM has the title “Configure automatic handling of removable storage media”, which in my mind would mean USB flash drives - and not internal drives (which generally aren’t considered easily removed). Is there any specific reason you want to use this KCM as opposed to simply adding the entries in your /etc/fstab? Otherwise, I’d check what the UUIDs are for sdb1 and sdb2 by running ls -lha /dev/disk/by-uuid, and adding them to your /etc/fstab.

1 Like
(Maerman) #5

I’ll do that; it seems simple enough. In other distros, I could do it through the KCM. But I don’t really care how it gets done, as long as it gets done. I’ll let you know how it goes.

(Maerman) #6

Success! Thank you kindly for explaining these basics to me.

1 Like