After interrupted update, failing to emergency mode prompt

So I just did the most recent update with pacman -Syu … but I made the mistake of hitting Ctrl-C in the middle of it (it was updating the man db at the time, in a botched attempt to copy a chunk of text from the screen…yeah I know ctrl-shift-c to copy there, I do it all the time, but, oops…). Then I ran it again and it installed the 50 remaining packages, and it looked like everything should be fine. But then I rebooted and I get

Warning: /lib/modules/5.2.11-3-CHAKRA/modules.devname not found - ignoring
starting version 239
ERROR: resume: hibernation device 'UUID....' not found
Chakra_main: clean, 713356/3874816 files, 12395796/15486976 blocks
mount /new_root: unknown filesystem type 'ext4'
sh: can't access tty: job control turned off
[rootfs ]#

Can anybody tell from this what I bodgered and how to unbodger it?

Besides the rootfs, I can boot to another Chakra install on another partition on this machine and access the filesystem of the broken one that way.

Any help appreciated!

Eric

i would chroot the broken chakra and run pacman -Syu again.
about chroot: How to start a simple systemd-nspawn container (for system rescue)
i suggest the method with arch-install-scripts

4 Likes

Thanks, Tom. I did already run pacman -Syu after the interrupted one (prior to rebooting and getting dropped to the emergency shell. Do you still think running it again will help?

Thanks for the chroot tip and link, that is very helpful. Some web searches point me toward running mkinitcpio.

Fixed!

Using the instructions on Tom’s link I created a systemd-nspawn chroot like thing (from a boot to my alternate chakra os partition) . Since my broken systems /boot and /home are on the same partition as my / I only had to mount / and then ran

systemd-nspawn -D /mnt

I didn’t have an internet connection so I skipped rerunning pacman and ran

sudo mkinitcpio -p linux

exited and restarted and it booted up successfully.

Thanks again, Tom!

3 Likes

if you need a internet connection you should use arch-install-scripts or a chroot

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.