A look at 2017 and some new goals for 2018

community
goals

(Neofytos Kolokotronis) #1

This announcement is also available in Spanish and Taiwanese Mandarin.

Our @team would like to wish an exciting and productive new year to all the members of the Chakra community! :confetti_ball:

Once again, we take this opportunity to share a big and warm thank you to all of you for supporting us, reporting bugs and providing great feedback, helping each other through our forums and wiki, maintaining our tools translated, donating and spreading the word about our distribution. :clap:
Your help is extremely valuable to Chakra and greatly improves our distribution and the services we offer. :blue_heart:

This is a good time to reflect on what we achieved over the past year and set out new goals for Chakra going into 2018.

Around this time last year we set some milestones. Unfortunately we did not manage to achieve all of them, but we did make significant improvements. Some of the most noteworthy moments for Chakra in 2017 include:

As always, all the KDE software and applications we ship continued to roll and several groups of packages in our core repository got scheduled updates. Kudos to our amazing packagers! :+1: :package:

Going into :two::zero::one::eight: we would like to focus on:

• Redesigning our website.
  • Holding the 2nd in-person Chakra meeting and a key signing party.
  • Streamlining our ISO release process.
  • Introducing the net-install feature in our installer, Calamares.
  • Better organize the non-rolling updates of package groups.
  • Introduce signing of our ISO, repository databases and packages.
  • Automating our buildsystem and utilize Gitlab’s CI to automate packaging.

Our aim is to continuously work on improving all the things that make Chakra great and fixing any issues that hold it back. As you know, Chakra is delivered by a community of enthusiasts that enjoy working on it in their free time. We can’t make any guarantees, but we will sure try our best!

We hope you enjoy using Chakra and being involved in our community! :tada:

(Bobby Rong) #2

Sorry for replying this topic 28 days after the last reply… :rofl:

In fact, I am a little worried about the net-install feature… It slows down the installation speed, as I tried Artix in December and it takes about 1h to download all the packages…
Although it is the repo that cause the problem, Artix doesn’t have a fast mirror for Chinese users and changing mirror doesn’t work… Then how about Chakra?

• One - Ranking mirrors automatically during the installation. Chakra has already presented this feature so users don’t need to configure the mirrorlist after the installation, but the result cannot satisfy me. All the mirrors the Calamares selected are very, very slow and I have to configure it myself after the installation.
  • Two - Ask users to rank the mirrors themselves. Asking users to do it before the installation will make the installation process complex. This is not a good news to the novice users. Adding the module to Calamares… Well, none of the distributions present it in Calamares so I don’t know if it is possible. Antergos present it in Cnchi, but I haven’t have a successful installation as it always fails. Changes to the packages may make the installer unable to fetch the needed one.
  • Three - CDN. Sounds great, but in fact the speed also cannot satisfy me. Mirrorbrain may be the best choice but this is not in Chakra 's annual plan…

I am looking forward to learning about how this will work… As for me, a fresh offline installation + a full system upgrade only takes about 20-30 minutes…
Thank you for reading this!

(tom) #3

this is important and a new thread would be better to discuss this i think
:slight_smile:

does calamres use the pacman mirrorlist?
tribe has used a hard coded mirror so far i can remember and the calamares net install feature based on it.

a server is having a daily workload and could only share a part from the resources but the workload is changing over the day and so you will notice up and downs.
when you can find the time frame with a low workload the installation could be fast but if not then not^^
as example i am using a university mirror if it is possible and it is a little slower from ~7:30 to ~20:15 perhaps we could place a hint to the server characteristic

(Bobby Rong) #4

That 's true… :rofl: Let the admins do that if they think it is necessary.

You may learn more here, this is what Artix Linux does in order to produce an installer for an Arch based os with net-install feature enabled.

True but it doesn’t effect much to ordinary users I think. :joy:

(Francesco Marinucci) #5

The offline installation option will never be removed, so you can keep installing from the media and then update the system.
Users are free to decide which option they prefer

(Bobby Rong) #6

So happy to hear that!

P.S. In fact, I still want to learn more about the netinstall feature… If it can use the mirror I want to download things, then of course I will choose the netinstall feature.
So is there an existing module for selecting the installation mode and the pacman mirrors now? I can not learn much from the git repo… The netinstall branch haven’t been updated for 1 year… If not, here is my design (refering cnchi 's source code, file src/pages/mirrors.py, but I don’t like the design of MAX_MIRRORS)…

(tom) #7

have you seen there are only two mirrors enabled by default?
i tried the netinstall feature view days a go and calamares wasn’t able to install artix on my notebook because it sopped at machine-id test…our iso will have the same problem i fear

(Hans Tovetjärn) #8