100 % CPU usage on Facebook or other websites with plugins

(Knut Hildebrandt) #21

Dolphins memory hunger is growing with each wake-up after hibernating the machine. As I already had mentioned, I’ve filed a bug report about this a while ago.

Anyhow, the machine is even swapping when memory is not used up. After a fresh start half an hour ago it looks like this:

Memory: 7.5/9.6 GB Swap: 160MB/20GB

(tom) #22

to easy the swapping behavior you can use zram
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Zswap

@king.knut
i tried to reproduce your observed dolphin behavior after hibernation with more then 140 open tabs and this is the result:

[tom@donar lib]$ free
              gesamt       benutzt     frei      gemns.  Puffer/Cache verfügbar
Speicher:       2,9Gi       633Mi       1,6Gi        52Mi       723Mi       2,1Gi
Swap:         2,0Gi          0B       2,0Gi
Gesamt:       4,9Gi       633Mi       3,6Gi
[tom@donar lib]$ free
Speicher:       2,9Gi       617Mi       2,0Gi        43Mi       323Mi       2,1Gi
Swap:         2,0Gi        40Mi       2,0Gi
Gesamt:       4,9Gi       657Mi       4,0Gi
[tom@donar lib]$ free
Speicher:       2,9Gi       619Mi       2,0Gi        43Mi       346Mi       2,1Gi
Swap:         2,0Gi        39Mi       2,0Gi
Gesamt:       4,9Gi       658Mi       4,0Gi
[tom@donar lib]$ free
Speicher:       2,9Gi       619Mi       2,0Gi        43Mi       346Mi       2,1Gi
Swap:         2,0Gi        39Mi       2,0Gi
[tom@donar lib]$ free
Speicher:       2,9Gi       620Mi       2,0Gi        43Mi       346Mi       2,1Gi
Swap:         2,0Gi        38Mi       2,0Gi

with closed dolphin but with open palemoon before hibernation

[tom@donar ~]$ free
Speicher:       2,9Gi       860Mi       1,5Gi        84Mi       610Mi       1,8Gi
Swap:         2,0Gi        37Mi       2,0Gi
Gesamt:       4,9Gi       897Mi       3,5Gi
´´´
with closed dolphin but with open palemoon after hibernation

[tom@donar ~]$ free
gesamt benutzt frei gemns. Puffer/Cache verfügbar
Speicher: 2,9Gi 537Mi 1,9Gi 83Mi 456Mi 2,1Gi
Swap: 2,0Gi 36Mi 2,0Gi
Gesamt: 4,9Gi 574Mi 3,9Gi

(Knut Hildebrandt) #23

Thanks for the tip with zswap. Will try it out, but I do not think that this will really solve my problem.

Regarding your test with dolphin I have to admit, that dolphin seems not to use up these big amounts of memory anymore. Woke up my system seven times in a row without noticing any significant difference in memory use.

Anyhow, shortly before making these test I had to “emergency shut down” my machine, since the system got totally unresponsive. I could not even use the mouse. A short glimpse at ksysguard before plasma crashed showed that kswapd0 was running wild. Before the incident I was watching and editing pictures on Flickr and memory use of firefox was increasing rapidly.

Anyhow, before looking further into this matter I try to solve another problem. Maybe this will solve this problem too. I’m still running kernel 4.18 because the update to 4.19 rendered my encrypted system unbootable.

(Nuno Santos) #24

While I was downgrading some packages because of the problem with the desktop configure option, I noticed the behaviour @tetris4 described. So I imagine that it was solved with the updates.

(tom) #25

for monitoring and loging is atop a usefull tool

edit
after hibernation i would try to “clean” the swap space from left over data

sudo swapoff && sudo swapon